Unprecedented climatic conditions across the Globe have played havoc with the lives of the people of late in the World . There has been an increase in tornados, cyclones, earth quakes and tsunamis, extreme hot conditions and extreme winter in Western Countries. During the summer the temperature in Nagpur, Maharashtra reached 48 degree centigrade. During the winter the temperature had gone down to minus 30 degree centigrade in America at certain places. There have been many snow falls last winter in New York, America. Thousands of planes were cancelled and lakhs of travellers were inconvenienced. There were mountains of snow all over the place. Entire road and rail traffic came to a standstill for quite some time. The main reason for this is global warming.
Global Warming is due to the release of excessive green house gases in the atmosphere. Average global surface temperature is increased by 0.74 degrees centigrade during the 20th century and that it is further likely to rise further by 1.5 to 1.9 degree centigrade in the 21st century due to the above mentioned reason. Global warming is continuing raise in the average temperature of the Earth’s atmosphere and oceans. An increase in global temperature raises sea level and will change the amount and pattern of precipitation.
The industrial revolution has brought in cumulative damage to the nature though it has provided employment to billions of people. Industrial progress has conflicting interest in relationship with the environmental protection. Pollution increased many fold causing mother earth to shed tears.
Comforts increased many folds. There are very few homes that don’t have electricity even in villages. People started procuring all sorts of vehicles for their transportation arrangement for carrying out their day to day business. America has ¼ of total cars in the world. It has 250 million cars for a population of over 310 million people. Even U.K is said to have 33 million cars for a population of 62 million people (approx.). Tata Company has complicated the problem further by bringing Nano car in to the market for Rs 1 lakh per car in India. India has millions of vehicles such as two wheelers, Auto rickshaws, cars and heavy vehicles. People invariably burn fossil fuel for driving the vehicles. Deforestation has contributed further to the global warming.
Thermal, Hydro, Nuclear and other types of generation heated up the atmosphere extensively. Chemical, Steel and cement manufacturing companies etc. contributed their share of global warming in addition to the release of gases from the vehicles. Electricity consumption enhanced the problem further. Building Industry contributed the dust pollution. So the list is endless that contribute to global warming. Modernization has had the worst affect on nature. We have to put in sincere efforts in our own interest and also in the interest of future generation.
What else can be the scientific reason other than global warming for the unexpected nonseasonal heavy snow fall in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and other states in U.S.A on October 29th 2011 jeopardizing the lives of millions of people.?
It is estimated that America and China put together emit 40% of greenhouse gases. India also falls under the category of major culprit in this regard along with America and China. The experts are talking all the time about reduction of carbon Dioxide but conveniently forget about global pollution due to the emission of carbon Monoxide by vehicles. Considerable reduction in the emission of Carbon Monoxide is also very essential for protecting earth from global warming.
On 1st February 2012 the temperature in New York is 59 deg.F or 15 deg.C. Is there any other valid reason for this change in temperature other than Global Warming?.
- Public transportation by buses and trains should be provided extensively and the people should prefer travel by public transportation in cities and towns.
- Priority should be given to Solar and Wind Energy.
- Those insisting on travelling in their cars should make arrangements for pooling their cars.
- There should be no exclusive rides by individuals in Auto rickshaws and Taxis. They should be plied on share basis except in extreme urgency.
- There should be staggering holidays instead of weekend holidays for reducing the number of vehicles on roads. There should be different shift hours, two shifts per day, in place of regular office hours.
- The Government should invest in as many flyovers as possible to avoid traffic congestion.
- Methods preventing and reducing all kinds of pollution should be strictly implemented by the concerned authorities.
- Granting of licenses to the factories should be strictly regulated depending upon the actual and anticipated requirement based on proper planning.
- All filament lamps should be replaced by energy efficient bulbs.
- Air conditioners should be used sparingly wherever used. Air conditioner may be put on for 2 hrs and after room temperature goes down to a certain temperature then fan can be used in its place.
- Unnecessary lights and fans and electrical appliances should be switched off in homes..
- Even number of hours of TV watching can also be reduced per day.
- Number of electrical appliances being used in a house can be brought down to minimum.
- In offices, commercial establishments, universities and banks, factories etc. Care should be taken to put off unnecessary lights and equipments
- Electricity consumption should be reduced to the extent possible in functions, musical programmes and marriages etc.
- America should take initiative in resorting to public transport in a big way in addition to other remedial measures instead of passing the buck to the other countries and should reduce the use of number of cars drastically.
- China and India should initiate reduction measures regarding emission of greenhouse gases in a big way.
- Dumping the chemicals and other pollutants in the rivers, seas etc should be avoided.
- Sarvajanik Ganesh Utsav and Sarvajanik Navratri festivals have contributed to too much of pollution in India in addition to wastage of plenty of money. There should be a ban on huge coloured idols made of Plaster of Paris. Only small idols made of mud without any colour should be permitted.
- Any other measures that reduce the pollution to a greater extent.
|Print article||This entry was posted by Pochiraju Sivaram on August 19, 2011 at 10:49 am, and is filed under Uncategorized. Follow any responses to this post through RSS 2.0. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.|